The following instructions may be helpful when preparing for your upcoming surgery. Please do not hesitate to call if you have any last minute questions. We can be reached at Cheyenne Periodontics Phone Number 307-632-4574 during regular business hours.
You should receive your pre/post-operative prescriptions prior to surgery. For your convenience, we recommend you pick them up a day or two in advance the procedure.
It may be important to stop taking aspirin and non-steroidals such as Motrin and Advil, 7-10 days prior to your surgery. If you are taking Coumadin or another blood thinner, remember to discontinue them as directed. If you take antibiotic premed, please take it as directed before your surgery. You will feel better if you have eaten prior to surgery. We keep the office cool, so dress warmly. You may bring an electronic device with headphones if you like.
In order to evaluate your progress and healing, we will see you for weekly post-operative checks during the first 1-2 weeks. In most cases, after surgery we will also look forward to seeing you back for a periodontal maintenance cleaning and an examination of tissue maturation about 10-12 weeks following the surgery.
Please alert the office to any allergies or sensitivities that you might have to antibiotics. You will be prescribed an antibiotic if Dr. Hansen determines it to be necessary. Take as directed until gone. It is advisable not to take these medications on an empty stomach, as nausea may result. For women taking birth control pills, be advised that antibiotics may interfere with their effectiveness.
Be prepared to eat a soft diet for 1-2 weeks following surgery. Foods such as Jell-O, bananas, yogurt, pasta, milk shakes, casseroles, eggs, fish, cottage cheese, soups, pudding, applesauce, oatmeal, and mashed potatoes are more easily eaten. Remember adequate nutrition is essential for feeling better as well as for healing.
Consumption of alcoholic beverages must be stopped 24 hours before surgery.
If you elect to use one of the following oral sedatives you must have a ride to and from the office. Please bring your remaining tablets with you. Remember, we encourage you to eat prior to your surgery unless undergoing intravenous anesthesia (IV) sedation.
- Ativan (Lorazepam)
- Valium (Diazepam)
- Triazalam (Halcion)
PRE-OPERATIVE INTRAVENOUS ANESTHESIA SEDATION INSTRUCTIONS
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to the surgical appointment.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Smoking greatly impairs your body’s ability to heal. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery. Minimal smoking for a period up to three weeks before your surgery will significantly enhance your comfort and surgical outcome.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive you home.
- No driving or operating any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes. Contact lenses, jewelry, retainers and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of the surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with the office prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages must be stopped 24 hours before surgery.